Friday, 12 December 2008

More on 64

I raised an ADN support query about 32/64 bit issues and I had a promising response suggesting that there shouldn't be a problem running plugins on the two different (32-bit and 64-bit) Revit platforms, so I did a little experiment.

I built a simple plugin that uses the API to simply report the current Revit version - just a way of confirming things are working or not. In Visual Studio I built my assembly three different times and set my Target CPU (Properties > Compile > Advanced Compile Options) to 'Any CPU', 'x86', and 'x64' respectively. 


This is what I found:

Any CPU - runs fine in both Revit 32 and 64
x64 - only runs in Revit 64
x86 - only runs in Revit 32

This confirms one of my earlier posts, but is reassuring for most plugin developers as using 'Any CPU' means you don't have to worry about separate releases. However some developers have to use x86 as their Target CPU because they use 32-bit only components in their code, such as the OLE DB provider for Microsoft Jet (for Access databases), which has no 64-bit version.

Time for a coffee methinks...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, so you'll have to wait a little bit before they appear!