Wednesday, 10 June 2009

'Edit and Continue' in Revit 2010

In my last post I was disappointed to learn that Visual Studio 2008 (or 2010) doesn't support 'Edit and Continue' in 64-bit, so I was wondering how I might install Revit 32 on my 64-bit machine so I could make use of this valuable functionality.

Well, thanks to a comment from Matt Mason and an experiment here on another machine my disappointment is now even greater; It looks like my simultaneous switch to a 64 bit machine and Revit 2010 was actually disguising an even greater issue - you can't Edit and Continue in Revit 2010 at all!.

If you try it, you'll see this:



I tried this with the same code using Revit 2009 and 2010, on a standard 32-bit machine. Both times I had the same reference to the 2010 RevitAPI.dll. I can Edit and Continue in 2009. In 2010 I can't. If I need to change my code I have to stop debugging, make my edit, start debugging again, wait for Revit to start up again, select my add-on from the external tools menu, etc... How laborious.

Is this the way it's always going to be? Or am I doing something wrong? Argh.

See comments for update...

3 comments:

  1. I found this on Jeremy's blog:

    "
    I am sorry to say that that the Visual Studio "Edit and Continue" feature does not work with Revit 2010. Currently, the only known workaround is to develop code in VSTA, which offers the ability to modify code interactively in the same Revit session.

    Personally, I set up the Visual Studio project to start up Revit with a testing project loaded. Then I can hit Alt-D-E in Visual Studio to stop debugging, and F5 to start up debugging again, continuing in the same project exactly where I left off. That is efficient enough for me. Sorry for the bad news.

    "

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just learnt the Autodesk guys have an SPR for this one: # 156268 - Visual Studio "Edit and Continue" feature broken when debugging C# API applications.

    I've let them know it's a problem with VB too, although I'm sure that was pretty obvious!

    I guess we'll just have to wait :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post from Redbolts on how to use your code in macros for debugging purposes:

    http://redbolts.com/blog/post/2009/06/12/Debugging-Commands-in-Revit-2010.aspx#continue

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated, so you'll have to wait a little bit before they appear!