Tuesday, 11 August 2009

Grammar, detail and OTT SEO

I was looking into online payment solutions (Payment Service Providers, don't you know) and ended up drifting a bit via the Protx (sorry, Sage Pay) website to have a cheeky look at their 'Web Developers' page. This is how I ended up on a digital agency's website to be confronted by the following grammatical clanger, on the home page, right at the top.
working with clients from small start-ups through to large corporate's has given us a great perspective


If I were a potential client I may be worried by this lack of attention to detail, but to be fair I've seen this kind of thing before. When a digital agency builds their own website often the same processes aren't followed as would be for client work, content is subject to less scrutiny, and the apostrophe-abusers have free reign.

And then I found another PSP, whose name you can see below. They also have a grammatical error (independant) but amazingly they feature an offer on their homepage that expired 9 months ago. Is anybody actually there?


I didn't stay long enough to find out.

And then, onto another well-known PSP, Netbanx. They've been in this business for a long time; I recall using them several years ago for an entertainment ecomms site that I built. But their website now is a big disappointment - it feels like it was written entirely by an SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) expert. It says lots of the same thing over and over again in lots of different ways, with lots of links to the same things said in a different way yet again, all in the pursuit of a good position on Google. And it actually manages to provide me with absolutely none of the information I need!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, so you'll have to wait a little bit before they appear!